Scott Rybny is a Partner and Chair of Morgan & Akins’ Insurance Coverage and Extra-Contractual Liability Practice Group. He has devoted his entire legal career to representing insurance carriers, agents and third-party administrators before trial courts, appellate courts and arbitration panels in various high stakes litigations.
Scott’s practice focuses on matters involving various forms of commercial general liability, fiduciary liability, professional liability and commercial crimes policy. He has defended properties including farms and condominiums, as well as handled trade credit disputes, bad faith litigation, insurance fraud and arson.
Scott also represents contractors and construction companies in litigations involving New York’s Labor Law and falls from heights, as well as insureds in professional liability matters.
With 20 years of experience, Scott’s knowledge of the business of insurance gives him the unique ability to advise and counsel insurers on corporate and policy-related issues even before litigation arises. He has taken part in special investigations involving international banks and foreign companies, as well as property claims as a result of Superstorm Sandy.
Scott is a prolific author and speaker on emerging issues in the insurance industry, providing both in-house training and presentations at various organizations around the country.
When he isn’t in the office, Scott enjoys staying active. He was a nationally ranked triathlete who competed in the 2017 USA National Championships.
- “How Goes It [COVID-19],” PAMIC Webinar, 2020
- “COVID-19: Hoping for the Best while Preparing Insurers for the Worst,” PAMIC Webinar, 2020
- “The Cold Hard Truth – An Adjuster’s Guide to Frozen Pipe Claims,” PAMIC Claims Summit, 2019
- “Insurer’s Quicksand – Public Adjusters & Independent Contractors,” PAMIC Claims Summit, 2019
- “Webinar on Demystifying the Bad Faith Set-Up in Insurance,” Strafford, 2019
- “Webinar on The Future of Insurance Law, Restatement of Law & Liability Insurance,” PAMIC, 2018
- “The Continuing Debate Over General Contractor Overhead & Profit,” PAMIC PULSE, 2018
- “Webinar on the Impact of Assignment of Benefits on Carriers,” PAMIC, 2018
- “Restatement of Insurance,” Eastern Insurance Group Meeting of PAMIC, 2017
- “From Adversary to Advocate: Public Adjusters and other Policyholder Representatives,” PAMIC Claims Conference, 2017
- “Matthew Rancosky v. Wash. Nat’l Ins. Co. and the Potential Implications on the Insurance Industry,” Eastern Insurance Group Meeting of PAMIC, 2016
- “Demystifying the Bad Faith Set Up,” Strafford Publications, 2016
- “Property Insurance, Legal Update,” Philadelphia Loss Conference Quarterly Meeting, 2015
- “Pennsylvania Insurance Bad Faith: Fifteen Years Later,” Pennsylvania Defense Institute, 2015
- “Emerging Issues: From the Homes We Live In to the Jewelry We Wear,” PAMIC Annual Claim Convention, 2010
- “Chinese Drywall Insurance Coverage Issues & Challenges,” PLRB Large Loss Conference, 2009
- “Insurance Coverage 101 at the Insurance Coverage Law Seminar,” National Business Institute, Insurance Coverage Law Seminar, 2008
- “What is Bad Faith?” National Business Institute, 2008
- “Legislative Framework and Current Developments,” National Business Institute, 2008
- “9th Annual ACI National Conference on Insurance Bad Faith,” ACI, 2003
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- Former Co-Chair Bad Faith Committee, 2013-2015
- Former Co-Chair Insurance Coverage/Subrogation Committee, 2012-2013
- Former Co-Chair Young Lawyers Committee, 2012-2013
- J.D., Western New England College School of Law, 1999
- B.A., Gettysburg College, 1996
GET IN TOUCH