Nick Akins has extensive experience in civil litigation and has successfully tried a number of both bench and jury trials. He has also handled cases before the appellate courts including the Full Tennessee Supreme Court. In his practice, Nick places emphasis on general civil litigation defense matters including workers’ compensation, premises liability, breach of contract, auto liability, and products liability.
Nick received his Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science and Business Administration from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville in 1998. In 2001, he received his Juris Doctor degree from Cumberland School of Law at Samford University. While at Cumberland, Nick was on the Dean’s list and served as a Director on the Cumberland Board of Trial Advocacy.
Nick is licensed to practice law in Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia and Federal Court for the Middle District of Tennessee. Following law school, Nick worked from 2001 until 2007 for a regional law firm, where he served as the managing attorney for the firm’s Nashville office. In 2007, Nick joined Mudter, Morgan & Patterson, which led the firm to change its name to the newly formed Mudter, Morgan, Patterson & Akins. During this time, Nick expanded his practice to include real estate matters, with a focus on residential real estate closings.
In 2010, Nick and Mike Morgan formed the new partnership of Morgan & Akins, PLLC. Nick and Mike Morgan affiliated their new firm with Chapman & Rosenthal Title Company, Inc. for real estate matters. In addition to practicing law, Nick routinely presents seminars on Workers’ Compensation Laws across the Southeast.
Honors and Professional Activities
- Nominated for Nashville’s Best of the Bar 2013
- Super Lawyers, Mid-South Rising Stars, 2013 – Present
- Executive Board Member for Kid’s Chance
- Member of the Executive Committee for Prevent Blindness of Tennessee
- Executive Board Member, Richland Country Club, 2014 – Present
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Law & Defense
- Real Estate
- Workers’ Compensation
- Products Liability
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Defense Lawyer’s Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- National Retail & Restaurant Defense Association
- Samford University Cumberland School of Law, J.D., 2001
- University of Tennessee, B.S., 1998